jueves, 10 de mayo de 2012

Wk2 Classmate Comment: Katie Ross

Katie's Original Post:

Wk2 Reading Entry


It is all invented! I have found that as I get older it is very hard to think outside of the box. I think this is because we allow everyday life to get in the way of free thinking. The question is how does one cultivate a place that doesn’t allow the boxed walls to trap them inside the box.  For me and my team at work we regularly have brainstorming activates. Some of the ideas we come up with never leave the room some become new workshops for all the new students. However just having a team of people coming together all building off of each others ideas is enough to keep the boxes of the wall down in my environment….for the most part. I think working in a place that welcomes a collaborative attitude is something that has been invented to help us work on thinking outside of the box.

My thoughts and actions allow me to see the world as a beautiful place! Don’t get me wrong when my thoughts focus in on politics, diet, processed foods, I get sad.  I feel hopeless at times to the things I mentioned above and I can see how it effects my measurement of the world.  I try to use my positive energy and thoughts on seeing those things as issues that will one day change. 

Chapter 3 really hit home for me.  I struggle with not being so harsh on people and myself, and I’ve been looking for ways to help me not be so harsh.  Adapting the “ Give everyone and yourself an A” mentality is a great way to challenge myself to see the A in everyone.  Even to see the A in people who procrastinate, an A in the people who don’t put in as many house as me, an A in the people who gossip or have a negative attitude. Giving an A to myself is a great way to boost my confidence in areas that I lack confidence.  It’s saying that I’ve already done a great job no matter what the outcome is at this point.  Chapter 3 is going to stick with me for a while, I’ve even posted a sticky note at my desk with a big A, to remind myself to give everyone and myself an A.



How will I contribute today is a great question.  I will contribute by smiling at everyone I see.  They say that smiles are contagious so hopefully my smile will brighten someone else’s day today.  

My Comments:

Hi Katie: 



When you are in a workplace that has the same attitude about possibilities, the challenge is how to implement those ideas because every idea is good. But, when you have somebody who doesn't look at the whole picture and creates walls inside, then the motivation dissipates and it becomes a tiresome process to open that person's mind to possibilities. For example, today I had a professor in the computer center complaining about teaching a class that has to do with literature. How students don't like to read. I said and quote: "How about letting the students read something they like, newspaper, comic books, magazines". The reply was "how a comic book can be considered literature" and I said "well it's not Shakespeare, but it's literature". The professor still complains and didn't saw the different alternatives to engage students to read.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario